Wednesday 3 March 2010

Curious thing of the week- 3rd space vest



I know this might look odd but bear with me on this. What we have here is known as the 3rd Space vest. Basically it is a gaming accessory that has been developed and released recently. What it does is quite revolutionary, it registers hits you take in game and then translates that to a force in the vest (ranging from a small force for light hits up to 10lbs for heavy hits). It uses pressure pads to create this feeling of force, 8 in total, and is meant to help the player feel more immersed in the game they are playing.

This vest, in my opinion, goes hand in hand with trying to make games more lifelike and more like you are actually there. This is already being achieved with high spec graphics, and the vibration through the controller in your hands whenever you fire a weapon or interact with something. This is the next stage, allowing you to "feel" the game through your entire body.

In some ways this looks like it could be a lot of fun, taking hits and feeling them. In other ways I feel this is a bit of a fad item. After a while you might well get annoyed with feeling every hit you take and then stop using it (at £150 this is a bad thing!) I personally though would buy one if I had the money because I like the concept of being more immersed in my games, as games and everything about them are a big part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment